2021-My First Semester Teaching Storylines

    I enjoyed teaching storylines this semester.  I think my paraprofessionals enjoyed it as well.  We were all learning as a team.   My students and paraprofessionals liked that I was teaching science concepts using culturally relevant topics.  It made students aware of the science we use daily. I had moments when I felt as if was running around with my head cut off and I probably was. 

   Personally, I feel that this year is worst than last year.  Why? Students were thinking I was going to pass them without putting in the work.  I can't speak for other educators, only for myself.  You will not pass my class unless you put in the work.  I always students more than one opportunity and different ways to demonstrate mastery in my classes.  It's up to you to take advantage of the opportunities.

    I had to do more differentiating and scaffolding this semester.  If I gave them too much at one time they would shut down immediately.  So I had to figure out how prepare a rigorous lesson without being it overwhelming to my students. I rather have them engaged and learning.  I got dinged for it during my formal observations. I don't regret it.  In the end I complete my usual standards and two more that I never get cover in class.  That's a plus in my book. 

     Unfortunately, I burnt myself out in the process.  I was up until midnight every night for three months. Why?  My students this semester didn't have attention span for lecture.  I noticed they would pay attention to videos.  So, I used previously recorded screencasts (created for virtual learning during COVID) and created new ones using screencastify.  I chose screencastify because it has an option to add multiple choice questions to check for understanding.  I had to make my notes child friendly.  I ended up creating doodle notes to use with the videos. 


They worked out well.  

I decided to cut back on the homework. Maybe 2 or 3 times a week.  I guess I am old fashion.  How can you master chemistry concepts without practice?  I don't give 25 problems to work out.  I just assign 4 problems (1 of each type), Ck-12, McGraw Hill, or Actively Learn.    

Here are my major takeaways from this semester.

1.  I need to reorganized my student/interactive notebook. I have been looking at different teacher websites. I like this set up. Mychemistryclass

2.  Create a tracking system so I can keep up with my students borrowing supplies.

3.  I need a better grading system for grading my notebooks.

4.  I will not take work home unless it is necessary.  

5.  Continue to work on mastering the anchoring phenomenon routine.

6.  Work on giving student productive feedback. When I am tired of typing I will let technology assist me (Kami -has a screencast option).

7.  Focus more on student's assets and not their deficiencies.

Comments

Popular Posts

NGSS Physical Science Facebook Group

NGSS Physical Science Facebook Group
Over 1200 members

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *